Tuesday, April 16, 2013

By: Doris Gwaltney
Homefront is a story that takes place in 1941 America. It's about a teenaged girl named Margaret Ann and all she wants is her own room. When her older sister leaves for college, Margaret Ann is about to get everything she wants. This all changes when she finds out her British cousin is coming to live with her. To Margaret the war in Europe isn't real, and she can only focus on how her cousin is ruining all her plans. It isn't until Margaret's older brother enlists in the Navy, the becomes all too real for Margaret. She then finds an unlikely friend in her cousin.

This is a good book on World War II, because it shows the war from the perspective of a child instead of an adult. It's also a good book on friendship. Margaret dislikes her cousin because she feels like she's ruining everything. But then Margaret realizes there are more important things for her to be concerned about than having her own room. Once she realizes this she puts aside her and her cousin's differences and they become friends.

6 comments:

  1. This book seems really interesting, i am not sure at what age this book is appropriate to read at but I really like the idea of the book especially for a child's perspective instead of an adult. I really like the meaning behind the book which children do not really notice, and most of the time not have to worry about. but I am really interested in the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice that people are making books like this to a childs level because they need to learn about this to, but sometimes the books are to advanced to them. I think that this would be a great teaching tool, and after you are done teaching about it you can keep it in you classroom for them to read it on their own. I would like to look through this book myself and see what lessons I could get out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that it is good that it talks about war from a child's point of view. We introduce topics as serious as war to young children and they might learn, but i think it is more realistic if it is something they can relate to. It also seems like a good lesson in looking at what is important.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love books that are about the World Wars! It really shows how children only perceive their immediate surroundings. This book sounds really interesting. I never had to share a room (thank goodness!) but I'm sure a lot of children in a classroom would relate. Also, I think if you were to use it in the classroom today, you can talk about how we are at war in the Middle East and relate it to this book.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds so interesting! I love the idea behind this book and I know that I would enjoy reading this along with all my students. I love how the girl doesn't understand the war much until her brother joins the efforts. I know that when reading this book a lot of really important conversations could be had. I really want to look this book up read it. I may just read it for my bibliography!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel war history is serves a great deal of importance for kids, many kids are so numb to war now days because of video games and what not kids need to realize how serious it really is.

    ReplyDelete